My own birthday parties as a kid were very meaningful to me. And preparing for them was half the fun. I’ve always wanted to bring the same joy and creativity to other kids’ birthday parties. They present an opportunity for the birthday kid to freely express themselves, and to celebrate their very being.
I am an expert at creating and managing fun activities. Ideally, I arrange several meetings with the birthday kid before the party to plan and shop for materials. We pick a theme, activities, games, and decorations. I can adapt to any space and group size. I can manage up to about 25 kids on my own, unless they are 3 years or younger. If I need help, parents are welcome to volunteer, but I also have a wide network of excellent child care and education professionals to draw from.
Past party successes have included:
- Arts and Crafts – Such as “fairy pouches” full of treasures and charms and a tiny bottle of magic powder, sewing stuffed animals, jewelry, decorating t-shirts, stickers, etc.
- Roald Dahl theme – We made George’s Marvelous Medicine, dream jars from The BFG, and hunted for the magic green things from James and the Giant Peach.
- Building and Battles theme – The kids built fortresses out of cardboard boxes and tape and then had a battle with balled up socks.
- Mystery Party – uses a kit, but requires some creative planning.
The only thing I might not recommend myself for would be sports themes.
Experience & Education:
- 16 years babysitting.
- 13 years teaching.
- 10 years working at summer camps and after school programs.
- Two years assistant teaching at Hunter Elementary.
- Eight years attending Hunter Elementary (foundation for divergent thinking skills).
- Six years attending Hunter High School (foundation for writing skills).
- Studied Education at Barnard College (Columbia University), and at SUNY New Paltz with a concentration in Math.
- Volunteered at Hogar de Vida, an orphanage in Alajuela, Costa Rica
- Link to my full CV