Your Kids Will Enjoy:
- Custom Coloring Sheets
- Gamifying Their Schoolwork
- Infinite Doll Houses
- Life Lessons from Miss Birdy’s community of friends!
- Read Alouds
- Emotion Regulation Activities and Projects (see details below)
Kids design, and I draw, Pokemon-esque creatures that evolve as the kids get their schoolwork done, help around the house, and practice self care.
Kids can also earn items and make rooms for their creatures.
Kids design rooms to put on the wall to create a flat dollhouse with infinite possibilities.
In these strange times, my focus in babysitting has shifted to address the struggle so many children are suffering through with distance learning and being stuck inside. In a time of crisis and uncertainty, their bodies are telling them to go into survival mode. Their emotions are running high. They are experiencing fear and frustration that they may not understand or have words for.
I incorporate the following skills and strategies aimed at self-regulation:
- Distress Tolerance – We learn what emotions are for and how to stop them from overwhelming us.
- Breathing Control – We learn how the breath is connected to fear and anger, and how to use it to self soothe.
- Metacognition – We learn to reflect on our own thoughts in order to better understand our own experiences.
- Self Community – We imagine separating the Self into parts and hold intentional conversations between them.
- Settling the Mind – We make a Calm Jar (empty jar + water + glitter) and use the experience of watching the glitter settle to calm ourselves.
In Person Babysitting
(not currently available)
Babysitting is probably my favorite way to work with kids. It’s the most personal and the most fun! My charges and I explore New York, make everything from stuffed animals to cars, write stories, play games, build forts, and learn new things.
As an expert of arts and crafts, I am well equipped to bring any child’s imaginings to fruition. With my charges I have made board games, items of furniture, toys, costumes, gifts, and much more. I encourage every child to fulfill their creative capacity while teaching skills like how to respond to mistakes constructively and think divergently.
While babysitting, I use Empathic Discipline and OSM language, which is what I teach in my parent coaching service. I maintain strict rules as outlined by the parents, but always with kindness and patience. I am careful to praise specific desirable behaviors and effort whenever appropriate.
Weekdays until Friday at 5pm – $20/hr (one child)
Friday at 5pm through Sunday – $25/hr (one child)
All times: for each additional child add $5/hr
NEW: $15 flat fee for art supplies and art instruction to make one project. (Add $15 for each additional child).
Some projects require time to go shopping for particular supplies. Projects and materials can be adjusted for different developmental levels.
- Necklace or other jewelry
- Handmade clothing
- Altered clothing
- Handmade Stuffed Animals
Experience & Education:
- 17 years babysitting.
- 14 years teaching.
- 10 years working at summer camps and after school programs.
- Two years assistant teaching at Hunter Elementary.
- Eight years attending Hunter Elementary (foundation for divergent thinking skills).
- Six years attending Hunter High School (foundation for writing skills).
- Studied Education at Barnard College (Columbia University), and SUNY New Paltz.
- Volunteered at Hogar de Vida, an orphanage in Alajuela, Costa Rica.
All photos of children appear with express permission from their parents and the children themselves. Some of those clients have shared testimonials of their experiences working with me on my references page.