Math in Art is a 2 hour crafting session/math lesson for kids who love math and making things. Most kids, no matter what material they have learned in school, have not learned about prime factorization, binary, or base translation. These concepts are fundamental, and can be comprehended by a 6 year old. They provide new frameworks in which to develop number sense and arithmetic automaticity. My aim is to teach these concepts through visual and tactile modes.
Binary Counter Coaster:
Prime Factor Forest and Color Chart:
(both of these photos are just excerpts from these projects.)
Experience & Education:
- 16 years babysitting.
- 13 years teaching.
- 11 years working at summer camps and after school programs.
- Two years assistant teaching at Hunter Elementary.
- Eight years attending Hunter Elementary (foundation for divergent thinking skills).
- Six years attending Hunter High School (foundation for writing skills).
- Studied Education at Barnard College (Columbia University), and at SUNY New Paltz with a concentration in Math.
- Volunteered at Hogar de Vida, an orphanage in Alajuela, Costa Rica
- Link to my full CV