I most love to tutor in math, but I also can teach language arts (particularly early literacy skills), science (particularly biology), Spanish, Latin, and social studies. I am well trained in essay writing as well. (If you are looking for test prep, click here.)
As a tutor, I try to focus on skills over content. I believe that children must learn the strategies for finding and integrating new information in ways that are enjoyable to them. As they develop these skills, they absorb more and more content naturally. I also use the Socratic Method whenever possible, which involves asking questions that reveal intuitive truths, rather than direct instruction, which has limited usefulness for many students.
“Before I started working with Miss Birdy, my math test scores were in the 70s, but after a few weeks working with her, I have started scoring in the 90s. She finds the best way to explain concepts to me based on how I learn. She has also helped me develop skills for organizing my assignments and my time. She gives me tools and structure that help me to be more confident and also a better student.”
– Julián, Hunter 8th grader, tutoree
Here are some personalized worksheets I have made for one of my 1st grade students who was not being challenged enough at school:
Experience & Education:
- 19 years babysitting.
- 16 years teaching.
- 10 years working at summer camps and after school programs.
- Two years assistant teaching at Hunter Elementary.
- Eight years attending Hunter Elementary (foundation for critical and divergent thinking skills).
- Six years attending Hunter High School (foundation for writing skills).
- Studied Education at Barnard College (Columbia University), and SUNY New Paltz.
- Volunteered at Hogar de Vida, an orphanage in Alajuela, Costa Rica.